1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I rated this as 8 because I was placed in two departments. I did not enjoy my first department during my internship. I really enjoyed my second department, and if I had just been rating my second department I would have given it a 9/10.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I often got positive feedback, not only from my line manager but also from various other people in the business. I often got asked questions by other colleagues and asked to join in on projects because they thought I was good at my job and they valued my opinion.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager gave me excellent support and guidance. However equally I was given work and allowed to get on with it, without being constantly supervised. It was my decision as to when I was given support and guidance.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
In my day to day life I like to keep busy and occupied and this was the same during my internship. There was also time to interact with others, but if I wanted to do more work I could always ask for more and be given it.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility during my placement. I was given tasks/projects and told to do whatever needed to be done in order to see it through until the end. I often started a task and finished one with only a small amount of guidance.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learnt a lot of skills during my internship that have already started to help me now that I am back at university. The skills I learnt at BAE will be very useful throughout my life and when I start work.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office had periods of being very quiet as they were reorganizing the seating. Most of the time everyone was happy to chat and be sociable, but equally everyone got on with their work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My experience was OK once I was moved to my second department. The IT setup was rubbish and didnt work for 3 weeks. The leaving process was also not clear and then suddenly very rushed with no one really knowing what they were doing.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had to do some training to raise our awareness of key aspects but considering I was only there for 12 weeks there was not that much to do. However I did learn a lot just from the work I was given and the knowledge of my team.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would like to work their in the future. It is complicated if you want to move business unit or function from the one you did at your internship but they still try to make it easier. They are also keen to have you back.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was if you lived with the others. I did not. I commuted to work and did not live in the halls of residence with the other interns so I didn't have a good social side, but I knew that would be the case going into the internship.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living was the same as it would be at uni (because I lived in my uni house and commuted), the only extra cost was fuel.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I didn't live with the other interns so I don't know.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were a few opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work but because I did not live in the area they were not appealing to me.