1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoy working at Renault UK. My position involves working on multiple projects at the same time. I highly value the versatility of tasks I work on. During my placement I gained insightful knowledge on project management, IT and Information Systems. The work environment is also really nice and people are friendly.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel highly valued by my colleagues and the managers . Everyone in my department is very friendly and will always listen to my opinion. I really like the fact that I can attend weekly meetings for managers in my department. Although I am only an intern, I feel respected by others.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Every week I have a 1 on 1 meeting with my manager and report on the tasks I am doing. If I have any issues with the work I am doing or even personal issues I can always count on my line manager. Other managers in my department understand that I am less experienced and will always give me guidance if I ask to.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Depends on the day. In the beginning I was not doing as much work, hence I was bored sometimes. After more time I was given more tasks and I became more busy. I never really had to stay in the office longer than I was supposed to. My line manager always makes sure I am not too bored or too busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
In the beginning I was not given too much of responsibility. With time, I began working on several projects and was given more responsibility. I think the biggest responsibility was multitasking - working on different projects at the same time and keeping track of everything. I feel like I learned a lot.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel like project management skills I gained at Renault will help me in my final year of university. I know that I will be much more productive than I was before. Moreover, I gained valuable practical knowledge that I would never get at university level. Having taken this placement it will be much more easy for me to find a job in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office is very good. All my colleagues are easily approachable and nice to talk to. I would not say it was stressful or boring in the office. Maybe there was not much of entertainment in the office, but I would not expect more. It's enjoyable in my opinion.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social life among placement student is amazing, I would say. There was about 25-30 interns at Renault. Everyone is very friendly. We often went out together to local pubs after work, or house parties. We also went out clubbing together to Watford or London. Unfortunately, I was the only intern in my department so sometimes it was hard to catch up.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Although Maple Cross is not in central London the living costs are quite high. It's a bit hard to find a cheap place to live around. I paid about 600 per month for a room in Rickmansworth. I was able to save up by not using a tube everyday. There is a free minibus going from Rickmansworth station.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There is not much of Nightlife around to be honest. There are some local pubs around. The closest town Rickmansworth does not have any clubs, only several pubs and that is it. However, London, Watford are easily accessible by tube which makes it up. A lot depends where you will be living.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?