Nutrition Assistant at John Lewis Partnership

Bracknell South East
Food and Drink Food Science Retail

7.9/10

I have absolutely loved my experience working at Waitrose. The personal and professional experience I've gained has been so valuable. I wish I could stay for longer than a year!

I feel that my knowledge and experience is valued by the majority of my colleagues and have rarely felt like 'the placement student', but you do need to prove your worth, as with any job.

I have experienced fantastic and regular line manager support and this has been a highlight of the placement. I have felt completely supported where I am less confident, but also given opportunities that take me out of my comfort zone for my own personal development.

The placement has kept me really busy, working on various projects. However there is a really great work-life balance and time for lunch and coffee breaks on a daily basis.

The area I work in is a key focus for the business so there are a number of exciting projects, both short and longer term, that I've been able to work on. I have been able to manage my own key project throughout the year, as well as support many other senior projects.

My degree subject in theory and in reality are two very different things - it’s so important to get the industry experience. A year in industry was the perfect opportunity to put all I’ve learnt in my degree into context and to transfer my skills and knowledge to a working environment.

The wider department is quite serious, but always time for a laugh at lunch time or within my team.

My experience has been very smooth and everything was ready when I arrived. My placement has been very structured which has helped me get more out of it.

The company has invested in several development day just for the placement student cohort which have been really valuable. I have been able to attend several other training courses and conferences too.

The graduate scheme is currently on hold and there are very few entry level jobs available.

I have become really close friends with many of the placement students, and 5 of us have actually lived together throughout the placement. We have gone on several trips away and visited eachothers home cities/towns and universities.

More expensive than I am used to having gone to university in the north, but not extortionate.

There are several bars, clubs and restaurants, but also less than I am used to compared to university.

There are numerous clubs and societies which you can join, but it's up to you to get involved.