1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I found the summer internship at M&G to be really enjoyable. The internship is well run and really allows you to push yourself and develop a whole host of new skills. There is a great working culture at M&G and I found that I was always treated as a valued member of the team.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Throughout my time at M&G, I felt very well valued by my team, who welcomed me warmly when I arrived. The work that I was assigned contributed to the team’s success and I had the opportunity to work on a number of meaningful projects, that enabled me to develop new skills and develop a deeper understanding of the financial sector.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Throughout my time at the firm, I received a good level of guidance and support, whilst also having the autonomy to lead on my individual projects. I had weekly meetings with my line manager and I used this time to ask questions and seek guidance should I need it. The rest of my team were also very supportive, always willing to provide support.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I remained consistently busy throughout my time at M&G and there was never a time that I had nothing to do. On quieter days, my team would provide me with additional work and this was a good opportunity to gain a broader understanding of the work that the rest of the team completes. Whilst I was always busy, I never felt overwhelmed and I found there it be a really good overall balance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was really pleased with the level of responsibility that I was given and I was assigned two projects, which I had the opportunity to lead on. Whilst I had to get my manager’s approval for any major decisions I was making, I still felt that I was granted a good amount of responsibility for an intern.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills that I developed during my time at M&G will undoubtedly benefit me during my final year at university and my career beyond that. The summer internship has made a great addition to my CV and has provided a good talking point when interviewing for other roles. During this time, I was able to develop many transferable skills such as teamwork and communication skills and I am confident this will benefit me in my future pursuits.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was a great atmosphere in the office and the atmosphere is something that really stood out to me during my time at M&G. The flat level structure means that you can openly approach those of a much senior ranking and know that they will be willing to help where they can.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I found the summer internship to be really well organised. When I arrived on my first day, my team welcomed me warmly and had ensured all the IT systems were set up and running for me to use. This ensured a smooth start. Additionally, the HR team ran information sessions and social events throughout the internship.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
M&G had clearly invested a great deal of time and effort into our personal development. Throughout the internship, we had a number of different insight sessions, where we had the opportunity to develop industry-specific knowledge from industry experts. My line manager was also well invested in my personal development and ensured the work that I was completing was constructive and beneficial to my development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future employment prospects at M&G are very appealing and the people at the firm really make it somewhere where I would love to begin my future career. The dedicated workforce, alongside the friendly and open working culture, really sets the firm apart from others in the industry and I am hoping to gain a place on the graduate scheme.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a really great social scene amongst the interns! There is quite a large intern intake for the summer placement (about 20 people) and therefore there was always some to eat lunch with or social with after work. Due the insight sessions and socials organised by the HR team, we had the opportunity to get to know each other well.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
As my family live within commuting distance to London, I lived at home in order to save some money. However, London is undoubtedly an expensive city and I found buying lunch and socialising after work to be expensive. However, M&G provide a generous intern salary and therefore, I was able to save some money which I plan to use to travel during the summer.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
London has a great nightlife and there was always something to do!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?