Mainly involved in testing of new products and building test rigs.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The work was interesting and relevant and so I was very satisfied doing my tasks.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues gave me a number of great opportunities in the form of various jobs which made me feel like they valued my input into the company.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
He threw me into the deep end on multiple occasions, but that's how I learn best and if I ever needed support I only had to ask.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Busy enough to always have something to do, but not an overwhelming amount.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I have met with and worked alongside/for several suppliers and clients by myself offsite, as well as being responsible for several other on-site projects.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have been sent on a pneumatics training course, where I've been given an industry standard certificate, so although I'm not sure how my skills will apply when I return to University yet, Knorr-Bremse does think about my education.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Open plan office, so it's easy to talk to other workers, however most people are very busy so it stays relatively quiet.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
From my first day I've always been looked after, given tasks to do and supported with advice as well as equipment.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
A paid pneumatics training course as well as several paid business trips to clients and suppliers.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing, the rail industry is growing and Knorr-Bremse has a massive part in it, as well as looking after employees.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, with over 20 other placement students there's plenty of chances to make new friends.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
High but I lived in Bath.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Decent nightlife in Bath, which is the closest city
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
KB has several sports clubs and charities to get involved in.