RDD Intern - Software at Dyson Ltd

Malmesbury South West
Computer Science Electronic and Electrical Engineering Electronics Information Technology

I got given a really interesting project that used and expanded my knowledge in a wide variety of subjects. There was some of the usual grind, but it was offset by the feeling of doing something valuable and learning a lot of new, useful things.

I had a great manager who was always available to support me and explain things. Other members of my team were equally helpful and willing to donate their time to help me out. I received constant words of encouragement and had a lot of faith in my manager who I didn't shy from going to with any problems I had.

I felt like I was a bit too busy, but also met several people who thought they weren't given enough work.

I can't disclose the specifics of my project, but I actually got to work closely with several manager-level people in the company, while working on a fairly important and needed thing.

This placement was a great help for me in converting from Electrical Engineering to Computer Science. Everyone was patient with me as I learned.

Good and friendly, there was free food every now and then, an area for "nature walks" and there was a general feeling of community.

No complaints, everything seemed top notch organised.

I had to mostly learn everything that I actually did in the company, as my previous studies were not a very good match to what I ended up wanting to actually do. They were super understanding and helpful with that.

I almost accepted the job - the only reason I didn't was that I was offered a much higher paid one and have some debts to pay off. But other than the pay (and maybe the location) everything was great.

I am rather a loner myself, but others seemed to get along well, and they welcomed me along if I did want to join in every now and then.

It's in the middle of nowhere so pretty cheap, even though still in the south.

Middle of nowhere, but then I don't really care. But at the same fairly easy and quick to just go to Bristol, London or Cardiff for a weekend. Some people even commuted from Bristol every day - there's a company bus.