1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I got given a really interesting project that used and expanded my knowledge in a wide variety of subjects. There was some of the usual grind, but it was offset by the feeling of doing something valuable and learning a lot of new, useful things.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had a great manager who was always available to support me and explain things. Other members of my team were equally helpful and willing to donate their time to help me out. I received constant words of encouragement and had a lot of faith in my manager who I didn't shy from going to with any problems I had.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I felt like I was a bit too busy, but also met several people who thought they weren't given enough work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I can't disclose the specifics of my project, but I actually got to work closely with several manager-level people in the company, while working on a fairly important and needed thing.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This placement was a great help for me in converting from Electrical Engineering to Computer Science. Everyone was patient with me as I learned.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Good and friendly, there was free food every now and then, an area for "nature walks" and there was a general feeling of community.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
No complaints, everything seemed top notch organised.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had to mostly learn everything that I actually did in the company, as my previous studies were not a very good match to what I ended up wanting to actually do. They were super understanding and helpful with that.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I almost accepted the job - the only reason I didn't was that I was offered a much higher paid one and have some debts to pay off. But other than the pay (and maybe the location) everything was great.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I am rather a loner myself, but others seemed to get along well, and they welcomed me along if I did want to join in every now and then.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It's in the middle of nowhere so pretty cheap, even though still in the south.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Middle of nowhere, but then I don't really care. But at the same fairly easy and quick to just go to Bristol, London or Cardiff for a weekend. Some people even commuted from Bristol every day - there's a company bus.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?