Worked with the Wholeship and Outfit Team on the Type 26 Global Combat Ship Project and undertook a range of jobs that dealt with the outfitting of the vessel.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Very thorough placement with many different tasks.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Many of my colleagues were very friendly.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Was given plenty of support if I asked for it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the beginning I didn't get much work as there were troubles with IT but got busier throughout my placement.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Was given a range of jobs that all contributed to the final warship design.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
They will help for my final year at uni and also when I start work full time. I also learned skills outwith what I had expected to learn such as Project Management.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was generally quite good however sometimes some colleagues appeared down.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Was very well organised however I feel that the start could have been better organised if they had already completely set up our laptops with any computer programs we may have needed. The first two weeks felt like a lot of waiting on programs being installed and chasing up IT to get this done.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They were very keen for us to undertake 'Stretch' assignments, which were extra tasks outside of our normal work. An example of this was when I went back to my old high school and gave them a talk about engineering in general but also specifically BAE Systems and what they can offer the school kids.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The graduate scheme is very appealing to me as it allows you to undertake placements in many different aspects of the company allowing you to find out what you enjoy best. The Sigma scheme also appeals to me as it encourages graduates to seek a managerial role and take on challenging placements.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were quite a number of us at the company meaning that there were plans almost every weekend and at least once throughout the week as well. There were a mixture of summer placement students as well as industrial placement (year long) from a range of different functions in the company, such as Engineering, Project Management, and Systems Engineering.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Not too expensive and I was used to it as I had lived there for 4 years for university anyway.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Very vibrant with many pubs and clubs to choose from. There are also a multitude of restaurants in and around the city centre to pick from. Any night out you want is pretty much available in Glasgow as it has to cater for the students from 3 different universities from September to June every year.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were some organised by the office however I was unable to attend them.