1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
8/10. The work environment was great and the content was alright. I have learnt a lot about the work place environment as well.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was placed in a very understanding and receptive environment and anything I wanted to contribute was openly welcomed.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was very organised and knew all about how and when to sort problems whether technical or work related. He also had a very good understanding as to how work placements are structured and kept on top of reviews and necessary admin.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The first couple of weeks I was busy, then a slow week in the middle but thereafter back to being busy again, which I preferred. It kept time running when I was busy and I wasn't bored.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a suitable amount for my knowledge base, as a first year I had little direct knowledge into the field which limited the work I could contribute to, however a set of fresh eyes is what they wanted for the placement and I was hence given a suitable role.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My degree focuses on civil aircraft, whereas the placement was focused on military. I have been given an In depth understanding about the general function of aircraft, with a little extra on certain subjects aimed at military aircraft for example Weapons Systems. I developed a lot of skill in excel and general computer usage, which will certainly assist me in the rest of my career, as well at through academia. Some of the training was work place specific and is hence not transferable into academia but will help me when I (hopefully) return to the company, or any other in the future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone spoke to each other and knew when it was time for a brief break or a laugh to lighten spirits and everyone was welcoming.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
HR sorted things very quickly and arranged things efficiently and I was well informed throughout the process.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
As I am on a sponsorship, the investment in my career is due to be rather large, which will give me many opportunities to develop and expand my knowledge.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am very keen to look into the graduate scheme, as I am interested in many different aspects of the company as there are so many opportunities at BAE Systems.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
yes, everyone was nice and seem to get on well.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very low cost and there were many chances to socialise.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The interns arranged it themselves, but yes, there are plenty of opportunities.