Vacation Scheme Student at Herbert Smith Freehills

Commercial Law Corporate Law

9.5/10

A three-week insight into the life and work of a solicitor at Herbert Smith Freehills with the opportunity to interview for a Training Contract at the end of the scheme.

I really enjoyed the work and the events during the placement, although it is a challenging 3 weeks.

Definitely. In each practice that I sat in, every member of the team made an effort to get to know me as a colleague and as an individual. This was consistent in all levels of the firm, bit it a Partner or a Trainee. We were given a supervisor and a trainee buddy also, which clearly identified who we could turn to if we had any concerns.

A lot of guidance when it came to the work. However, each piece of written work we completed were included as part of our appraisal.

As an English Literature student, I was pleased to develop the skills that I use in my degree over the course of my placement - for example, reviewing, summarising and analysing documents.

Very structured. We were given a schedule on our first day which contained detail information of presentations and events that were running throughout the scheme.

Very collegiate and inclusive, amongst the wage earners and the vacation scheme students alike. There was no sense of competition, which meant that the atmosphere was generally supportive,

A lot. There were various presentations running throughout the scheme and supervisors were very generous with their time.

I feel as though I have a good understanding of what it would be like to have a full time role with HSF. The experience was very hands-on and practical and vacation scheme students were often contributing to cases dealt with by their supervisors.

Extremely useful insight into the culture and values of HSF.

Since the vacation scheme gave us direct insight into the day-to-day role of a solicitor, it was very valuable.

There were a number opportunities, particularly during the socials which were well-attended by partners, associates and trainees.

Good fun and in incredible venues.

Yes. I had the opportunity to shadow a trainee at Whitechapel Legal Clinic and learnt about the various networks at the firm.

Without a doubt.