Commercial Intern at HSBC

Leeds Yorkshire and Humberside
Banking - Commercial

HSBC is a Top Employer

7.9/10

Intern in a Commercial Centre. Did a lot of shadowing, mainly of the Commerial Officers. Was discouraged from shadowing managers which was a shame as I think I would have got a lot out of that.

Undertook a project, and did day to day tasks as well as assisting in preparations for certain events.

Also spent time with a Local Business Manager, in a Retail branch and a Corporate Centre, as well as in Head Office, and with the Special Situations and Premier teams. I was glad I took the opportunity to see a wide range of areas within the bank.

I really enjoyed the placement, although sometimes struggled to be given anything to do.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at HSBC

Everyone in the office was very welcoming and supportive.

I often struggled to be given something to do. I did quite a lot of shadowing, but that is not how I work best. In my last week I was suddenly given a lot of work which I was unable to complete. A better balance would have helped me get more out of the internship.

As an intern I thought I was given a good amount of responsibility. My project allowed me to set up and run meetings, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I mainly developed networking skills, it would have been useful to develop more technical business skills.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at HSBC

The work was all mainly individual, although the atmosphere was friendly.

Details were left quite late. I only found out where I was going to be placed a couple of weeks before. This could have been a real problem if it had been somewhere I did not have accommodation.

I felt valued during the internship, and feel like I was definitely being trained up for a career with HSBC.

Find out by November if I have an offer onto the Graduate Scheme.

Not being in London, I didn't get the chance to socialise much. In London they seemed to socialise a lot.

Lived in student house.

Attended a few networking events, and drinks with colleagues.