Intern in a Commercial Centre. Did a lot of shadowing, mainly of the Commerial Officers. Was discouraged from shadowing managers which was a shame as I think I would have got a lot out of that.
Undertook a project, and did day to day tasks as well as assisting in preparations for certain events.
Also spent time with a Local Business Manager, in a Retail branch and a Corporate Centre, as well as in Head Office, and with the Special Situations and Premier teams. I was glad I took the opportunity to see a wide range of areas within the bank.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed the placement, although sometimes struggled to be given anything to do.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone in the office was very welcoming and supportive.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I often struggled to be given something to do. I did quite a lot of shadowing, but that is not how I work best. In my last week I was suddenly given a lot of work which I was unable to complete. A better balance would have helped me get more out of the internship.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As an intern I thought I was given a good amount of responsibility. My project allowed me to set up and run meetings, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I mainly developed networking skills, it would have been useful to develop more technical business skills.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The work was all mainly individual, although the atmosphere was friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Details were left quite late. I only found out where I was going to be placed a couple of weeks before. This could have been a real problem if it had been somewhere I did not have accommodation.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I felt valued during the internship, and feel like I was definitely being trained up for a career with HSBC.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Find out by November if I have an offer onto the Graduate Scheme.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Not being in London, I didn't get the chance to socialise much. In London they seemed to socialise a lot.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Lived in student house.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Attended a few networking events, and drinks with colleagues.