Preparing spend and commitment analysis and forecasts for the contracts my team was responsible for.
Preparing debtors and creditors analysis.
Helping with balance sheet analysis.
Working closely with project managemnt, commercial and engineering
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My team members and co-workers were extremely suppportive and very friendly. Extensive training was provided as well as a number of learning opportunities.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very pleasant , semi-formal and friendly atmosphere to work in. Colleagues were very friendly and helpful. Line manager was very undestanding, supportive and motivational.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was sent on a number of courses to develop certain skills necessary for the job. Constant reviews and appraisals from management made sure I was given all the training I required.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Flexible hours that BAE systems has ensures that employees have the perfect work-life balance. If I had worked hard Monday-Thursday, for example, I could leave at 12 on the FRiday, or use the additional hours for holiday later on.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I feel I was really valued and given real responsibilities. On a number of occasions I had to represent the finance department at project management meetings, negotiate and liaise with engineers, etc
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The interpersonal and communications skills I gained proved to be invaluble. Computer and accounting training I received is extremely helpful in my final year at university
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very informal and friendly atmosphere in the office. Time to chat with colleagues in the coffee room and even on the desk. All this made even the toughest jobs easy and pleasant.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised. A lot of money is put into making the inters feel good and have a great time in the company, whilst contributing a lot to the company
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I feel that a lot of time effort and money was invested in me
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
In light of my performance during the year I was offered a full time position with the company after I gradute plus a subsidy for my final year at uni
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
All sorts of events organised for and by the interns/graduates, many of them funded by the company- such as annual conferences, fun days , etc
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
East Yorkshire area is generally very cheap to live in
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Brough itself is pretty limited in terms of nightlife, although Hull has some good bars and clubs
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?