1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship. I worked on a wide range of projects which gave very good exposure to the construction industry.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone in the office was very friendly and was always willing to help answer any questions that I had.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Many of the tasks were new to me but everyone in the office was happy to help if I had questions. I got given previous examples of the documents and before any work was sent out it was checked by a colleague who would explain what was good and what could be changed for future reference.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Throughout the internship I always had jobs to do. There was a good balance of site visits and days in the office typing up specific documents. Due to being involved in many projects simultaneously there was always plenty of work to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a good proportion of responsibility. A lot of the time the documents that were written up for specific projects were done on my own and then checked at the end.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The exposure to the industry that I got during my internship was great and has really helped understand my degree better. We were also given a seminar on presentation skills during the internship which has helped out a lot when preparing presentations at university.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was a good atmosphere in the office. Everyone was welcoming and made you feel part of the team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was well organised. There was a few seminars that were structured for us to be involved in. The projects themselves were organised by colleagues offering to take us on site and then from that a lot of work came through.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The main personal investment that the company provided was the seminar on presentation skills. These are skills which are very important and it was a great opportunity to develop these skills during the internship.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Following from my internship I will be applying for a graduate position because the company make you feel so welcome and it is clear that they are one of the leading firms in this industry because of the knowledge their employees have. They also give excellent support to graduates working towards their APC.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Most Friday evening the team I was working in went down to the pub to socialise outside of work. Among the interns there were a couple of events organised as well. The company also invited the interns along to their softball matches.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Being in London the cost of living was very high so I commuted from home as the office is easily accessible. The socialising was quite expensive but considering the location it was to be expected.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I didn't go out to any nightclubs due to commuting however other interns enjoyed the nightlife in London.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
As I mentioned previously there were opportunities to play softball with the graduates and also some of the interns played cricket for the cricket team in the office who have matches against other companies.