Assurance Associate at PwC

St Helier Channel Islands

PwC is a Top Employer

9.1/10

9.4

My role as an assurance associate was to conduct audits of other companies' financial statements. Auditing involves examing the balances held in a company's financial statements through investigation. This is in order to ensure they are accurate for the benefit of the users of the financial statements.

I really enjoyed my placement mainly due to the really friendly and sociable atmosphere within the office.

On the completion of work for each client that I worked on, I was given an appraisal by a more senior team member. They were always quick to thank me for my contribution and offer praise.

Support was always on hand when you needed it. I always felt comfortable approaching a more senior member of staff if there was something I didn't understand or was having trouble with and they always happy to help in any way. I was also provided with a buddy and a counsellor from day one.

I found that I was always occupied on my placement. Even if I had run out things to do on the job I was working on there was always someone in the office who I could offer my assistance to.

As with any other job, I was initially the more basic tasks to complete. However, by the end of my placement year I was conducting audits of entire companies all by myself from start to finish. Something which I am told is completely unheard of at other UK PwC offices.

There was a great atmosphere within the office. There are many social events throughout the year which help to produce a great camaraderie amongst employees, which is great if, like me, your not from the Channel Islands.

The Channel Islands have been offering industrial placements for many years so have excellant experience when it comes to introducing you into the firm and helping you get settled.

I was treated like a graduate so I went straight into taking my professional exams. This meant going to college and being given study time off work which was all paid for by the firm. I also spent 3 weeks participating in internal training prior to starting work in the office.

I have been offered a permanent job for when I have completed my degree studies.

There was a very good social scene not only amongst the new graduate starters but the office as a whole. Many of the new starters aren't from the Channel Islands so you'll spend a lot of your time socialising with them and ultimately they will become very good friends.

The cost of living in Channel Islands is generally quite high unless you can house share with a group of others. The salary is quite high though in order to reflect this. Plus tax rates are much lower in Channel Islands.

The nightlife was much better than I expected, most friday and saturday nights are absolutely buzzing. There are plenty of bars, pubs and restaurants. There is however, a scarcity of nightclubs with only 3 or 4 to choose from.

There are numerous activities to get involved in outside work. There are a number sports teams that compete competitively and socials that stretch from paintballing to sea kayaking.