Microbiliogy Industrial Placement Student at Johnson & Johnson

Blackpool North West
Administration/Secretarial Chemistry Market Research Mathematics/Statistics Science/Research

Johnson & Johnson is a Top Employer

5.0/10

Microbiologiest in the Microbiology Laboratory.
My role enables me to get involved in a number of different routine tests critical for the running of the microbiology department as well as long term development projects for the laboratory. I spend the majority of my day in the laboratory working on a number of different test methods.

I have really enjoyed the exposure I have got to such a wide range of test methods, allowing me to develop a vast range of strong laboratory techniques. In contrast, I have also found it really interesting to work on development projects, allowing me to contribute to the future of the lab by suggesting and implementing improvements.

During my placement I met some very interesting characters throughout the year. The ones who I will remember forever and who have a lasting impression on me are those that have inspired me to make a difference, those who have encouraged and believed in me, and those who have supported me.

During my placement I put myself forward for a number of different opportunities during my time on placement. I was frequently able to get involved with a number of development projects which have enabled lasting improvements around the laboratory. I have worked with some very experienced team members who have passed on some great skills, techniques and knowledge to me.

My role enabled me to get involved in a number of different routine tests critical for the running of the microbiology department as well as long term development projects for the laboratory. I spend the majority of my day prioritising a number of different tasks in the laboratory working on a number of different test methods.

During my placement I was able to take a lead role in a number of projects both inside and outside of the lab, taking responsibility for these. Not only did I lead these projects, I was able to liaise with other department leaders, organize key documentation for the projects and ensure its delivery to key deadlines.

My confidence around the lab has increased exponentially, in terms of familiarity with using a number of different methods and pieces of equipment. Additionally I have really developed core skills which are critical to maintaining a high standard of work in an incredibly busy environment including good time management, team work and organizational skills.

Working in a busy, energetic work environment has been a great experience. There was never a moment where I didn’t have work to be planning, organizing or conducting. The pace was one which university labs may not fully prepare students for, however being here has taught me a number of key skills.

I decided early on in my placement that I would make the most of my placement. As such I put myself forward for a number of different projects to try to engage with a number of different aspects of the company. I always aimed to maintain a high level of organization to ensure I was prepared for all aspects of my placement.

I have been able to develop my laboratory skills in a number of different methods. I am now able to use, understand and explain to others the way in which different equipment works and is used. I understand their purpose, ways in which they should be used and their applications.

There are many different exciting areas within Johnson and Johnson which offer fantastic graduate schemes. With a strong insight into the workings of one of their companies I feel excited about the prospect of applying the knowledge I have gained through this to other placements and areas of work within the medical healthcare and pharmaceuticals industry.

I really was able to get involved with a number of opportunities both inside and outside of work. During my time this year I have had the opportunity to compete in a number of sports, start up my own small enterprise and meet a number of other fantastic people outside of work.

There were a number of costs to consider when moving to my placement. Rent, living costs, bills and food/expenses were slightly less expensive than I had previously encountered in the last city I lived in therefore I was able to implement a similar budgeting scheme.

I definitely found that there is always a lot to discover wherever you live. I have definitely discovered a number of great activities and places to explore in the area I now live. Depending on what you enjoy there is a huge amount to offer I the local and surrounding area.

As previously mentioned in an earlier comment one of my favorite aspects of this year is the strong home and work life I have developed. I have had a fantastic time finding opportunities outside of work. These have included a number of different sports teams, walking, cycling, climbing and water sports clubs.