Undergraduate Engineering Student - Device Development at BAT

6.0
6.0

5.2

Device Development Team

I enjoyed the placement as a whole and learnt a lot from the experience. The year had some periods where I wasn't as busy as others, but this is to be expected.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at BAT

My colleagues definitely treated me as part of the team, I never felt left out. This was one of the most positive aspects of the placement. Everyone makes you feel welcomed, especially in the first few weeks.

I think this has a lot to do with your relationship with your line manager and their respective grade. I got along very well with my line manager, so I felt at ease to discuss any issues. The slight negative was that he was has a senior role, so is busy, but I feel like he always tried to make time for me.

I was fairly busy, but as I've mentioned before, some periods of the year I was more busy than others. January to start of April was a little slower, but other than that, I was fairly busy.

I was given a good amount of responsibility, especially with my main project role. I feel that at times, my colleagues wanted to give me more, but I was inexperienced in certain tasks.

I've learnt some things on a technical basis that will be useful in my degree. But the placement as a whole was not that technical, which I was fully aware before I started. I learnt far more 'soft' skills that are not taught in university, and I feel are more valuable.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at BAT

The atmosphere in the office was very relaxed, and a good place to work.

The placement was well organised, with an established placement programme already in place. There are multiple members that are responsible for organising events, making sure the placement was well run; which it was.

I was sent on various training courses and had access to a lot of training, so I feel that the company did support this well. I also believe that if you required any specific training, your team would definitely provide it.

I would consider coming back, if the right role opened up, but, I feel like the placement taught me where I want to work, and for me R&D may not be that place. But that doesn't mean it is not appealing for others.

Overall the social scene betweek the students and colleagues was good, and if you made an effor you can have a very social year. It all depends on how well you get along with the other students.

Cost of living and socialising was okay.

The nightlife was fairly good, but in my opinion not the best. But, this varies from student to student; others enjoyed it a lot more than me.

There are multiple opportunities, it all depends on the person, and how envolved they want to get. Football and the gym come to mind.