1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Before coming to the firm I heard very positive reviews about the internship programme and, therefore, had very high expectations. However, my experience at the firm has even surpassed those expectations. I was staffed on live transactions and was given every opportunity to contribute - I really felt like I was adding value and team acknowledged my contribution. Work environment was great and my team members were willing to spend time to share their knowledge about the job and our sector. I was very impressed with the culture of trust and responsibilities given to junior staff. Team leader ensured that during my internship I got exposure to the entire spectrum of industry sub-sectors and my responsibilities vary so I get a better feel of what this sector and job entails. Feedback sessions were also very helpful giving us chance to improve and take a full advantage of our time at the firm.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
People seemed very glad to delegate responsibility. I was given more and more complex tasks as I progressed, and people always acknowledged my contribution.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Our intern class had a week of training before commencing our internships which was very helpful. Also, my supervisor and team members ensured that I am fully aware how to execute tasks and were more than willing to dedicate their time to explain the best ways to approach my responsibilities. People were always happy to answer my questions.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
As expected from this type of job, I was very busy (which meant more opportunities to learn) but team leader tracked our tasks and asked for feedback to make sure we do not get overwhelmed and our quality of work does not suffer.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Tremendous amount. The culture of trust was very evident.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This internship gave me an insight into how the concepts I studied in my finance classes are applied in practice, and, I think, this understanding will help me in my final year of university. Most importantly, the exposure I received will be extremely valuable in the future as I intend to pursue this career path.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was a great team player. People were very approachable and willing to help.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Training and feedback sessions were provided - these were very helpful and well organised. We had a variety of informational and social events to meet people from the entire bank and learn about other teams. The internship also involved a fundraising challenge which was great fun.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had a week of training before starting the internship and also attended skills workshops throughout my internship.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very. I accepted my graduate offer and looking forward to starting after obtaining my degree.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Bearing in mind how busy we were, the social scene was great - we had opportunities to interact throughout the internship.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London is expensive, as expected.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Lots of venues but I was not too concerned with this.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
A lot. Fundraisers, community work, concerts, marathons, other sports and cultural events.