1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
An amazing placement with many exciting oppertunities. This place has confirmed my decision on wanting to pursue a career with BAE Systems following the completion of my masters degree next year.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Not once was I treated or made to feel like an 'intern'. I was always given 'real' work, which made a valuable contribution to the project. Team members would always go out of their way to provide help when I needed it and their advice was also extrmely useful.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
For each task, I was given a set of objectives. These were always specific, measurable, achievable, relavant and time-bound (SMART). Whenever I had a problem of needed help, I could speak with, email or call team memebers very easily and was always given a promt, detailed and helpful response.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had plenty of work to be getting on with.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The work I have produced for my team was very relavant to the overall project. I therefore feel that is was on par with the level of work permenant team members are expected to produce.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement has confirmed my decision of wanting to join BAE Systems in the future. - An amazing place to work with out of this world oppertunities.
The placement has provided me with the oppertunity to learn a lot about BAE Systems as a whole, and not just about the business unit I have worked in (MAI). My placement tasks have also allowed me to develop a reasonanble understanding of the Systems Engineering discipline.
The skills I have learnt will prove useful when I come to writing my masters dissertation, however many of the skills I have learnt will not directly carry over to my degree. - I study mathematics and have had little use for maths during my placement. For mathematicians, I do believe Software Engineering will be a fantastic and 'relavant' discipline to pursue within BAE Systems.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very welcoming, relaxed and cheerful. I have met many nice people in the office and shall be keeping in contact with many memebers of my team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very organised. I could not have asked for a better manager and the general support from everyone on my team was amazing.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The tasks I was set not only allowed me to develop a broader knowledge of Systems Engineering, but also allowed me to enhance my confidence, communication skills and team working skills. The oppertunities to attend monthly meetings, which highlight current work undegoing in the company, were also very insightful. Online training courses were organised at the beginning of my placement. These were extrememly informative and were very relevant thoughout the entirety of my placement. Tours of site facilities, in addition to oppertunities to interact with members of the armed forces, also allowed me to learn more about the company and what it is they do.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Extremely appealing. I definatly want to work here in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Many oppertuities for socialling with other placement students were communicated and organised by fellow interns.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Preston is a very cheap place to live, in comparison to back home in London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I'm not into clubbing, so I'm not the best person to ask!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Together with fellow inters, activities were always organised.