1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The job was appropriately challenging, while not too hard at the same time. It was enjoyable and not exhausting, something I could continue as a full-time work. The atmosphere at the office was friendly and relaxed, and the community among the employees was great. I soon became involved in after-work clubs and activities, and felt very welcome.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager/mentor was brilliant at leading me through the tasks I was given step by step, I wasn't overwhelmed by how much I have to do, as he gradually built up what my project was.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
While initially I had a lot to absorb, both in terms of information about company and new skills, I soon became very familiar with the codebase, to the point of finishing tasks much faster than expected, which lead to my manager struggling to come up with new tasks for me, especially in the last 3 weeks.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
When I came to work on my first day, I had no useful coding skills, only some knowledge of the theory. Now, towards the end of it, I'm familiar with two programming languages and confident I can apply the skills I learnt here. This internship convinced me that I want to pursue a career in software engineering.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
People were incredibly friendly and welcoming. From the very start, I was invited to after-work clubs and sport activities. I didn't feel like I was treated differently because I was an intern.
The atmosphere was generally relaxed and I made some good friends among the full-time workers very easily.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were a few events aimed specifically at interns to improve their presentation and teamwork skills, which I've found particularly helpful. I was also invited to apply for a full-time job and go through the interview process towards the end of my internship.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
It feels like I can be much more ambitious than this.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The Company offered a house for an acceptable rent, given the location, however it was still a bit expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are a lot of clubs and groups organised by the company employees, covering a huge variety of activities, from sports to board games. On top of that the company organises welcome/farewell drinks for all its employees, including interns, and morale events to strengthen the bonds within a team. Especially the latter was a lot of fun.