9.2/10

204 reviews

• About You
  • The Organisation
  • Everything Else

One Week vacation scheme in the commercial department

2. Very much so, the people in the office were friendly, I was given interesting work to do and there was an enjoyable 'social element' to the week.

3. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
  4. A lot, I was given real work to be involved with and was invited to attend client seminars. I felt more valued on this placement than I have done on other work experience placements in the past.

5. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
  6. My 'host' (a current trainee) guided me through the process each step of the way. More senior lawyers and members of staff were also happy to provide assistance or answer any questions.

7. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  8. To a large extent. The tasks for the placement (for example preparing and delivering a presentation) are useful in any career.

It also taught me a lot about how a firm of this size operates, particularly concerning their relationship with clients. This is a useful skill for the future.

10. Very well, there were specific tasks to complete for deadlines. The department I was in for the week also had some work set aside for me to help out with.

12. Very relaxed and positive, everyone was very friendly and approachable. It was easy to introduce yourself to people around the office and ask questions.

13. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  14. It was a one week placement, so there wasn't much opportunity for this. However, placement student are potential future trainees so you could tell the firm took this seriously and gave us a positive impression of the firm.

15. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
  16. To a large extent, I was able to assist with work in the departments, ask lots of questions and watch how the employees of the firm operated. I assume a full time role with the firm would be very similar to the placement week.

17. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
  18. A lot, this was one of the best things about the week. I found the culture to be very relaxed and non-hierarchical.

19. How valuable was the content in helping you to decide on your future career path?
  20. It gave a good insight into the day to day work of a commercial solicitor. However, I was already pretty focused on my career path before this placement.

21. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
  22. The pay was very generous considering it was a vacation scheme for only a week.

23. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
  24. Yes we were actively encouraged to introduce ourselves to everyone around the firm and the office atmosphere made this very easy. My host was also introduced me to a lot of senior employees in the firm.

26. Very good, attending the client seminar was a very interesting experience as were the lunches I was taken on by the firm.

27. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
  28. Yes, I attended two meals with trainees and solicitors and heard a lot about social/networking events they attend.

30. Yes, it was an enjoyable opportunity with a successful firm.

Legal/Law