1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed the internship very much – I was allocated to the team that I wanted the most and given an interesting project to work on. I have received all the support required for me to succeed, and there were also lots of various events organised for interns, to get an insight to a company as a whole.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt part of a team and there were no obstacles in communication, both professional and out of office.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given everything I need to complete my placement, and more.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It was really up to me, but I spent most of the time coding. There were a few weeks full of meetings, closer to the end, and C++, of course, takes time to compile, which is quite boring, however overall I felt my busyness level was appropriate.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Aside from initial specification it was completely up to me to design and implement the components of project I was working.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
You develop solid software engineering skills through practical work and subsequent code reviews. Placements like this are instrumental in personal development as a programmer.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was very professional and friendly. People come to office to achieve something, and yet have fun in the process.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I have received the training that was very relevant to what I would do. There were lots of events organised for us. We even participated in charitable activities, like planting poppies around the Tower of London.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
You receive training at the very beginning, and there are always classes running that you can join to improve something in particular.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love to join them, and I am currently in the process of doing so.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The other interns were great, and we got to know not only R&D interns, but the whole crowd from all departments.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It is London City.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Probably the best you can get in UK.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are sport societies and charity events in the company, and you also get a free/discounted access to most of the cultural events/places, so you can always find something that you like.