Project Work - Toyota Production System Application.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My role at Toyota was extremely interesting. I was involved in a number of high profile activities and was expected to make a very quantifiable impact upon the business.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt greatly valued during my time at Toyota, becoming the "expert" for the company in a number of fields. Colleagues were able to depend on me to achieve certain goals.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The level of supervision i have received has been fantastic. A number of key people right up to Director level in the Business are interested in my continued development.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The majority of my work was project based. I was given great opportunities to do over time as and when necessary. Furthermore I was able to support other members of my team when I was in between projects.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The level of responsibility i was given during my placement was good. As i developed to become more self reliant (D4) in a number of tasks the level of responsibility i assumed increased.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have greatly developed my knowledge of the latest world renowned production operation improvement techniques. Moreover i have enjoyed the courses Toyota have provided for me to improve Personal Planning Effectiveness and Presentation skills. Both of these aspects will be immeasurably useful in my future.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very good - Jovial and Friendly team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised. Toyota obviously invest a great deal in their Placement Scheme. It is far more akin to a Graduate Scheme.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Toyota invested a great deal in me, in terms of both formal training courses and closely managed professional development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
It is very appealing to return to Toyota to work on a permanent basis. The opportunities for personal development there are staggering!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
s placement students we organised our own social events, from meals together to Go-Karting events.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The plant is situated in close proximity to Derby and Nottingham. Nightlife in the two cities varies depending upon what you enjoy.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were Football and Netball Clubs, and Toyota runs inter plant competitions in various sporting disciplines. Furthermore the Training Centre runs courses in an eclectic variety of interests, from Languages to Photography.