8.4/10

204 reviews

• About You
  • The Organisation
  • Everything Else

Completing work required in the file such as witness statements, instructions to experts, chronology of details, case studies and quantum reports.

2. Despite being one firm, it was a great opportunity to see how another office operates. It is fair to say that there were only subtle differences between the office I work in on a permanent basis and the office I completed by secondment (save for the building, of course). This allowed for an enjoyable transfer from one office to another.

3. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
  4. Shoosmiths values provide for a lack of barriers between departments and provides for mutual support within the firm. Due to this, every person I interacted with was friendly and willing to help. In addition, the work that I was given was work required for a particular file which meant I was required to play a part in the progression of a file. This, in itself, shows that I was a valued member of the team.

5. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
  6. Throughout the whole week I was given sufficient guidance and support. Should my supervisor not be around, I was able to ask any member of staff for assistance with work without feeling that I was burdening them. This extended to the wider Shoosmiths team.

7. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
  8. One of the main purposes for this secondment was to raise my profile within the firm whilst being judged for competence. The experience of moving to a different office and getting to know people in a professional and friendly environment is a skill that I will always have to have. This then can be extended to networking events and client meetings. I also gained a better understanding of picking up work in an area that I have no knowledge and being able to provide a piece of work to aid another member of staff.

10. As the supervisor was given the structure of the week in advance of my secondment, they were able to plan what work they would give me and who I would report to.

12. As mentioned above, there are very few differences inter-office and the environment and the atmosphere are very similar. There is a relaxed and friendly atmosphere yet very focused on the goal ahead.

13. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
  14. Being put through the various stages of the internal application route requires investment of many people. The process requires time from everyone involved and a lot of effort is required to ensure that the process runs smoothly and is enjoyable.

15. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
  16. I am employed as a full time paralegal within the firm and I am responsible for my own caseload. I therefore already have an insight in to the ways of the firm.

17. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
  18. As mentioned above, I already have an insight of the firm, however it was great to see that the culture of Shoosmiths is the same throughout the different offices.

19. How valuable was the content in helping you to decide on your future career path?

20. 10/10

21. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
  22. My salary with the firm did not change during this week.

23. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
  24. Despite people being busy, everyone was willing to chat. I was therefore able to find out information on what other departments do in the firm.

26. At the end of the week I went to the pub with a few people in different departments.

27. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
  28. There was very little going on during the week of my secondment. I emailed a couple of trainees in advance and they confirmed that there was nothing planned that they were aware of.

30. Yes. I would highly recommend this to a friend. I would say, however, that the process is harder than the external process.

Private Client Law