Chemical Synthesis industrial placement student at Lubrizol

Science/Research Chemistry

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

7.5/10

Synthesising additive chemistries

The year was very enjoyable, but very different to life at university

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

Everyone was friendly and welcoming making me feel valued from day one

My supervisor was really supportive, helping me to settle in quickly. I was given guidance on projects until i was able to come up with my own ideas.

Varied quite a lot from weeks to weeks, ran reactions most days as well as attending meetings with colleagues.

The responsibility levels certainly increased as I gained more experience within the company

The type of chemistry I was working with primarily was quite different from university courses i had studied previously however a lot of the core chemistry that I had learnt was highly applicable. The placement year was essential for my degree course. . My non- chemistry transferable skills such as presentation and scientific report writing skills were developed throughout the year.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

I shared an office with 4 other placement students which gave a more relaxed atmosphere.

I attended training courses on giving presentations as well receiving safety training

A lot of staff here are ex placement students, however this year no students have been taken on

A lot of live together in accomodation organised by Lubrizol which helps socialising outside of work.

We lived in student accomodation, which was fairly reasonable

Derby has a lot of pubs and clubs with easy access to Nottingham and other cities if you want something a little different

There was usually one activity a month, such as go-karting and bowling, with weekly volleyball, football, badminton and cricket available