Perform trouble-shooting analysis; provide resolution of application issues, and escalation if required. Perform on-call duties on a rotation basis in support of applications running on UNIX systems, server based applications, and basic system/data infrastructure. Monitor performance of systems and applications to ensure system availability and perform standard preventative maintenance. Understands the Technical Support area as it relates to assigned projects/tasks.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The job was excellent and provided an opportunity to get involved in a fast paced working environment, working on dynamic projects which were actually implemented in a live, production environment.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone was so helpful and willing to give up their time for me.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
All of my colleagues were extremely nice. They made a great deal of effort to find out more about me and to get me involved in interesting work.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My day had the perfect balance of work / meetings / learning / socialising
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was kept very busy but I never felt overwhelmed.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The knowledge of the IT industry and in particular the business side of it has done me well with job interviews with other technology and IT companies.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Always fun and interesting and people are always around and happy to help when needed.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well my turnaround from application to starting was less than a month
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Always training courses being run which you can ask to go on. Only deny you if they feel that it has no benefit to you.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would be thrilled to work for them full time.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
All the other intern students get on well with each other and we therefore are out most weekends with one another.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Fairly expensive to go out in surrey but after making a few good friends it doesn't matter where you go you can have a good time.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was very fun. There are plenty of bars and restaurants in the area.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were plenty of opportunities to go for drinks and dinner after work. There was also the opportunity to attend a soccer training session.