Scientific Software Developer at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

Oxford South East
Computer Science

7.9/10

7.4

6.5

It's the Job - responsibility, deadlines etc. It it a bit more stressful than I expected, but that's how real-world jobs work. Apart from that - not much pressure, people are nice, software is useful.

Imagine yourself working at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

They allowed us to jump in almost straight ahead. There are still some limitations, obviously, but I've never been denied to do anything "just because you are a student".

People have spent a enormous amount of time showing us what's what.

It's relatively relaxed. If you don't sit around surfing Facebook whole day, nobody will complain that you are not working hard enough. It's still expected that you have your job done, but I've never had a necessity to stay late or work hard as hell to make sure something is done.

We are allowed to do anything other people are doing, with some supervision of course.

Working on such a big project with such a great people can never ever be useless.

Imagine yourself working at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

People are usually taken up by the work they need to do.

No complains.

We've had lots of training just because RAL is quite a dangerous place if you are not careful. Speaking about skills relevant to my job - as I mentioned above, it's astonishing how much time people have spent tutoring us.

Not quite sure that it's the right career path for me. The problem is, I don't know which is. :-)

There are lots of students on-site, lots of event are happening.

The area is extremely expensive.

I've lived in a very small and quite town, so not much of a Nightlife. Which I am not a fan of anyway.

On-site lectures/tutorials/other events are happening all the time.