Year In Industry Student at Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)

Salisbury

This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant. Click here to view the most recent reviews for Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)

3.3/5

3.7
1.8

assisting team members with their different projects. some work on excel, a lot of maual work putting together equipment. This changes yaerly though depending on team projects.

This varied depending on the work I was given. A lot of the work that I was given wasn´t mentally chalenging although the project I was given was challenging, it didn´t take up enough of my time. I also had a brilliant time taking part in trials

As we didn´t often have team meetings I often didn´t feel part of the team as I sat in a different part of the office and was a different age demographic to the rest of my team however my team leader did work hard to make me feel welcomed.

Very little support was given by my mentor. All the support was gained from a part time colleague.

This also varied with the amount of work. Some days I was very busy and others I had little to do. Having a flexi time contract meant that this wasn´t a problem.

Working on my own project gave me responsiblity in ensuring that it was all completed correctly.

Although only very few skills I gained will directly help my degree subject, I have gained a lot of other skills both in communication and other handy skills (some work required me to learnt how to use a drill which is a useful lifeskill) that will definitely be useful in my life

The atmosphere in my ofice was usually cheerful and positive which made a friendly working envronment.

This was well organised as there were a large number of us at Dstl there was a lot of organisation into our enrolement

. There was a high amount of investment into my personal development as members of staff took the time to teach me new skills and I was also allowed to attend academic conferences and training days.

I wouldn´t want to work with them for my career mainly because I don´t want a career in defence and the work they do won´t be related to my degree.

Although there were other students that socialised together the transport in salisbury made it difficult to attend events such as pub quizzes( there were no l ate busses)

without a car socialising and travelling around is very expensive as there are very poor transport links.

Few students, lack of nightlife ´vibe´. Salisbury was relatively empty and there wasn´t a choice of locations.

There are many opportunities to get involved in other activities. Provided you have a car. :) (lack of sunday busses and evening busses)