Team Member at Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)

Sevenoaks

This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant. Click here to view the most recent reviews for Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl)

2.6/5

3.6
2.5
1.3

A lot of variety and the feeling that my work was valued. However there were some frustrations and annoyances with some of the management decisions.

It's nice to know my work will be missed when I'm not there

My supervisors were generally very busy, so it wasn't always possible to get support and guidance when I needed it. It was helpful when I got it, though.

Occasional days of having nothing to do, and occasional days of being worked off my feet, but generally there was always enough work available to fill my days

I was given more responsibility than I would have thought I could have handled at the start of the year, but I managed much better than I expected.

I have gained much needed interpersonal skills, improved my report writing and gained confidence in what I am capable of.

Quiet and studious, punctuated by occasional conversations or comments.

The start of the year was fairly slow, because not much work was specifically set out for me, however it sped up as the year progressed.

Essential health and safety and civil service e-learning courses, but nothing beyond that.

I am not sure about what my plans are after university, but DSTL is a worthwhile company to work for.

There was a reasonable social scene, stymied by the lack of things to do in the neighbourhood except go to pubs.

Rents were expensive and so was food/drink, due to the proximity to London

Unless by nightlife you mean nocturnal wildlife...

There were not any universities in the area, so there was very little around targeted at my age group.