Software Group Marketing Support at IBM

Bedfont/ Middlesex
Marketing

This review was submitted over 4 years ago, so some of the information it contains may no longer be relevant. Click here to view the most recent reviews for IBM

IBM is a Top Employer

4.3
3.9
3.5

Supporting Market Managers for UK and Ireland. Customer References/ Case Studies & Wins Co-ordinator Software Events Calendar Editor Promotion of Key Events - weekly communication. Wiki pages, monthly reporting on usage, and assisting with the development IBM UK Brand Pages- process updates, general maintenance and exercising marketing tactics. Report Editor - weekly updated and distributed report Monthly Review Reporting Tactics Coding

Many opportunities for personal development at IBM. You are given a task list as well as a list of activities you can undertake including volunteering and training courses.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 7 roles at IBM

The team I worked with were very supportive throughout my placement. Schemes like having a work mentor meant that throughout my year I always had someone I could talk to about any problems in and out of work. Also, the Foundation Scheme that IBM has adopted was in its infancy when I joined for my Industrial Placement, but the programme proved valuable offering chances for reflection and feedback from a Foundation Manager.

As stated above.

At first I was overworked. I flagged this to my task manager and was tought how to manage my time effectively. Afterwards, being able to manage my joblist I was satisfied with the workload I was given with opportunities to work in different areas of the business like volunterring to work at Wimbledon for the duration of the competition.

I was given a wealth of responsibility. The tasks that I was to oversee were dependent on my approach to work. I learned to understand the importance of completing tasks on time and to the best of my ability as they can affect operational efficiency and reporting standards.

The skills I learned during my placement have been life changing. I can leave my placement at IBM knowing that I have truly learned what work life is like even though it is but a dip in the ocean. Also, having the chance to shadow colleagues in different departments has allowed me to get an insight into what other job roles entail.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 7 roles at IBM

IBM operates a open door system. The atmosphere especially with the Marketing team was always supportive. Team bulding activities helped to introduce me to the team.

I think that the work placment set up through the Foundations Scheme which was at its infancy in my year was good but had room for improvement. Communication avenues were not always obvious (i.e. who do I talk to about this?), we had work placement mentors and Foundation managers.

I feel that the company invested alot into my personal training and development with the availability of online training courses and volunteering opportunities. Foundation also arranged training days and social events to introduce the placement community and help develop relationships.

I have been invited back to IBM on the Graduate Scheme. The placement scheme allows you to get an insight into whether IBM is the place for you after University. If it is, then if you have been fast-tracked you have the opportunity to by-pass the lengthy application process, instead attending 1 assessment centre.

The social scene amongst placement colleagues was very vibrant with social events almost every week.

I rented a ex-council house through an agency which proved cheaper than most options. The salary was enough to get through the year with some savings. However, socialising was kept to a minimum to ensure that I could pay the bills each month.

The was no nightlife where I lived near Bedfont Lakes business park.

As said before, there are many opportunities within IBM which you can get involved with including volunteering with younger students, helping at events, working at Wimbledon, etc (job permitting).