Preparing tax returns
Tax law research
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement was really well organised.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone appreciated the work I did and came out for lunch on my last day.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given help whenever I needed it, and had regular meetings with my counselling manager
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I would have liked to have juggled more jobs at any one time, instead of having a to-do list it was more a case of finishing one job and having to keep asking for more work. However I was rarely bored.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was not given very much responsibility, spent more time doing small tasks that other people did not have time to do, very important tasks but often admin based.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Writing and behaving in a professional way is a skill for life.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The people were really friendly and nice but it often felt quite empty and quiet
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The organisation was brilliant! The placement started and ended with a trip to London and the managers were well prepared in the regional offices.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company spent a lot of money on us and did provice 3 days of training in London. However this knowledge was not really put into practice in the office.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would very much like to move my career forward in some way with BDO, and they seem to have every intention of making an offer if you perform well.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Not so much in the regional offices since there were only 2 of us but the week long intro was great, everyone went out together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I already live there
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Didn't really go out but as I live there already i know its really good.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were a couple of socials but I was unable to attend due to short notice