Assisting the tax department and gaining experience into VAT, employment tax, private client tax and corporate tax.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed the internship. The entire staff in the Manchester department were very supportive and inclusive and I was given various, interesting tasks covering a range of tax areas.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From the very beginning we were treated with respect and given serious work to do. We were also engaged from a social perspective.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Had regular meetings with the two members of staff responsible for looking after the interns, who provided help and assistance, when needed, in completing various tasks.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
On the whole I was always given enough work to keep myself occupied during the working day. On occasion I had to occupy my time with admin and filing work, but ths was very seldom. Similarly, there was the odd occasion where I was given a little bit too much work. But that simply reflects BDO's enthusiasim towards giving the interns significant work to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The responsibility varied from task to task. In certain instances I was trusted to produce computations and suggest ideas for various tax planning scenarios. I was also allowed to contribute in meetings where I felt confident enough. Finally, towards the end of the placement I was often trusted to perform larger tasks.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The rigorous approach taken by BDO in all aspects of the work translates well into the study of Mathematics and I feel I will have benefited from this experience, learning to consider first all conditions and factors and the potential outcomes before undertaking a calculation.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Work was always the priority in the office. However, there was a very open and friendly atmosphere that made the working day very enjoyable and allowed strong relationships to be formed between colleagues.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well set up and also very flexible to meet my special requirements with still having exams during the internship dates.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
At every stage we were offered guidance, advice and encouraged to undertake work in every area we could. We had regular progress checks, both formally and informally und were supported right the way through the placement.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Jobs are available to all the interns in Manchester, provided they perform well on the internship
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Got on very well with other interns and regularly went for lunch and drinks with them. Made the placement even more enjoyable.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Lived at home and Manchester is generally quite cheap for food and drink.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Manchester is good for bars and pubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Got involved in numerous social and sporting activities.