Support & Guidance
- 1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis.
- 2. Have you learnt any new skills, or developed your existing skills?
- How would you rate the training provided during your experience?
- How would you rate your development of industry-specific skills during the experience?
- How would you rate your development of personal / soft skills during the experience?
- Please rate how these skills have helped you in your career development
- 3. Were you given much responsibility during your placement / internship?
- Please rate how meaningful the work you were doing was
- 4. How much support and guidance did you receive during your placement / internship?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from your line manager?
- How would you rate the support and guidance from the wider team?
- 5. What was the company culture and general atmosphere like?
- How would you rate the inclusiveness of the culture?
- How would you rate the social opportunities?
- How would you rate the diversity initiatives?
- How would you rate the charity, sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives?
- 6. To what extent did you enjoy your placement / internship?
- Please rate your level of enjoyment on your placement / internship
- Please rate how your experience met your expectations
- Please rate the future employment prospects at Aldi
- 7. Would you recommend Aldi to a friend?
- 8. What advice would you give to others applying to Aldi
Placement at Aldi involved 7 months in store working over the busy fast pace Christmas period in one of the top 4 supermarkets in the U.K. I worked up to Assistant Store Manager level and also ran shifts. 5 weeks over the year shadowing Area Managers getting an insight into their important role and a potential career. For the final 5 months I am in head office working on a variety of projects.
During store time I developed my team leadership skills, managing experienced teams with individuals who have worked at Aldi for over 20 years. Also during store time my time management and communication skills were put to the test in many ways and improved during my store experience. At head office I have had to present my project to directors and this has improved my presenting skills and confidence for future presentation. My computer skills have also improved during project work, especially Excel and Powerpoint.
From day one of placement responsibility was a key thing that Aldi gave me, this ranged from being a safe key holder and locking and opening up stores as the only manager in at that time. Responsibility of placing orders for a very busy store, running shifts, dealing with issues and resolving personnel issues. During projects briefs were set and then I had to go and contact area managers who were experts for advice and guidance, projects are extremely self driven and was based on personal work ethic to create a successful project to present to directors during a set time period.
Support & Guidance
During store the help and guidance from the individual store managers was amazing, each and every one that I worked under set time to discuss goals and future action plans for my development in their store. Weeks with my area manger were extremely insightful into a potential future carrier with Aldi, the guidance I received off him couldn't have been better. Head office was more individual work however had regular catch ups with the project leader.
During my head office time it was different to what I expected, when I came for my initial interview it was a busy thriving office however, during the time from my interview to office time a few of the departments were nationalised down to the Atherstone headquarters making the office a bit of a ghost town at times. In store was the complete difference spending 50 hour weeks with the same small team created a good working atmosphere where support and guidance was always available.
During my year at Aldi I have thoroughly enjoyed my time, the challenge was fun and I have learnt a great deal, the people were very helpful when times were tough. Just a note for potential applicants this year is tough, long hours, weekends and expect to physically graft in store. You definitely get what you put in to this placement, my line manager was extremely helpful and putting in the effort with them definitely helps when project time comes round!
Be prepared this placement is extremely rewarding but at the same time extremely challenging, long hours sometimes at antisocial times, set holidays ( be prepared to miss out on some of your social life.) You may also come across some difficult people to work with and learning on how best to deal with them could potentially be a struggle to people. Don't be afraid to speak up during the placement as a lot of it is self driven.
Placement (10 Months+)
Yorkshire and Humberside