1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I worked in paintshop as a trainee engineer. I was able to learn a lot on the job. All the tasks I was given were enjoyable and I was able to very independent in my work. I found the tasks to be relevant engineering experience. Overall it was a very enlightening year.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone in the paintshop was very supportive and approachable. I was trusted with many decisions but always felt comfortable asking for help and clarification. The team was very friendly and all ideas were valued. Every member of the shop was very helpful when it came to implementing projects and organising plans.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was always able to approach my supervisor. He made himself available for any concern or query when needed. the guidance was always easy to understand. Every new task given to me was briefed in detail and I was able to clarify any concerns. I was also able to easily ask for new tasks when needed.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
some days were very busy and there was a lot to do but occasionally there was little work for me to do. however, as a placement I did not expect for there to be too much work for me to do so this was understandable. When I did not have much to do I could always ask for more work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was in charge of running my own projects and was trusted to make my own decisions and follow the project through with my own plans. I was responsible for liaising with the appropriate members to carry out any plans I had and was able to answer their queries about my projects with enough knowledge.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I will be able to understand the daily routine of an engineer's work more clearly as well as understanding a lot more technical information about fluid mechanics. I also learnt a lot about planning and organisation skills from courses which I will be able to take into my university work.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office was very a friendly and joyful environment. every member was welcoming and approachable. All ideas to improve the office environment were welcome. It was quite a relaxed environment. All members were very supportive of each other and any work for members who were not there were taken in by other members temporarily.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The organisation for the work placement was quit thorough. There were a lot of courses that we were able to do with additional information about the courses. The intro week provided a lot of valuable information. there was always someone to contact about issues I was unsure about however information was passed around well.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
In terms of personal training an development, we had many courses from organisation to health and safety. We ha to do coursework for this which was helpful as it tied in with the projects we did over the course of the year so plans were able to be effective and meaningful.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The graduate scheme has a lot more courses which will help furthering career skills and personal development. There are also a lot of perks for long serving members as well as opportunities to travel with the job to plants all over the world. The graduate and placement schemes improve every year.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were a few meetups organised by placement students and graduates however more could have been done within the company such as catch up sessions for students in different departments. Each department organises heir own meals for events. The main meeting between placement students was during course activities and peer review sessions.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?