Working on Internal Projects, aimed at improving the company's processes, Technology and People.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Overall it was not a wasted year as I made key/valuable contacts and learnt a lot more about myself and what my wants and needs are, this early in my career. So overall more positive than negative.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I only felt valued towards the end when my contribution to the projects and my responsibilities increased.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I received a great amount of support and advice by Senior Management, some of which were not my direct reports. Nevertheless, they were open to helping me settle in and share their knowledge of the company.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Not busy at all for majority of placement. I only became busy at the end, when I had the opportunity to coordinate a project and get stuck in.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
It was a major struggle to get meaningful work handed to me for several months into my placement. But towards the end, one of the projects had picked up speed and I was best placed to pick up some responsibility. I took the opportunity to demonstrate my abilities and I value the opportunity that presented itself. It saved my placement from being entirely responsibility free.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I was aligned to an International Project workstream which is benefitial to my International Business degree. I was able to get experience on a few projects which I will be able to link to my essay in my final year module called 'Managing Change'.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Colleagues always had a laugh.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
In my opinion the placement was not planned well prior to us joining. Therefore the beginning was painful and it made it hard to settle in. I barely had 1 task to do every day for several months.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Completed my PRINCE2, all paid for by the company.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?