Various responsibilities including customer service, sales, interacting with customers and reservation management.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my summer internship this year- I worked with a great team and felt really supported by everyone. I have learnt a lot of new skills through this internship that have really benefitted me.
From the start of your placement you are given responsibilities in the branch and have regular meetings to check your progress. You are constantly learning on the job and theres always people to help when you are unsure of anything.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
You are treated like a valued member right from the start in and out of the branch. I made great friends through working here and everyone is very supportive of each other. Considering the high demands and pressure of the job at times, working with people you can rely on and enjoy working with is so important.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The management during my placement were excellent. If i found anything difficult or had any issues I felt comfortable enough to talk to them about it and something was always done to sort any queries out. We had regular progress and development checks to see where I could be doing better and how i could do it and to celebrate my successes too.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The Branch that I worked in was always very busy and although the hours were long which was a huge change from my previous part time job, as everyone is helping each other out it makes the day a lot easier and more manageable. There is always stuff to be doing so you never feel like the day is passing slowly.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Everyone is giving their own individual roles and it was important to know what your main responsibilities are as you have to make sure you are getting it done. As well as this, by showing responsibility you are helping the branch run a lot more smoothly and feed-backing any improvements and updates back to the team so everyone is aware.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills and knowledge I have developed and gained through this internship has been invaluable as it has opened many doors for me in terms of my options and what I am able to do next. Even in such a short space of time having an insight into the business is so important as you are learning a lot skills and knowledge you can transfer into any future studies and job opportunities.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was always very upbeat and positive. Everyone enjoyed working together which made the atmosphere and the job role so much easier. We all enjoyed coming to work and working together and it was a very fun environment to work in. For me, the people i worked with really helped me transition easily into the role.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My branch manager had made a 10 week plan so i knew what was expected of me throughout each week and we would review this weekly to see what I had done at each step. I think having this 10 week plan made it a lot easier for me to develop as I was setting myself mini goals each week. If you were to do an internship I would recommend making a plan from the day you start so you are clear about what is expected of you and what you are aiming for.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
As I had regular meetings with my branch manager and other staff I felt like I was able to constantly develop and query anything I was unsure of. i would have maybe liked another day in head office half way through to meet the other interns and perhaps feedback on the first couple of weeks in the branch.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Despite the long hours I have decided to carry on and to continue part time with the company through my final year of University as I really enjoyed the job role and working for the company. I am hoping to stay with the company after i have completed my University degree next year.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were some opportunities to meet up with each other but mainly you see the people you work with in the branch day to day
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Great food and good places to socialise after work
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were many opportunities to get involved in and regular emails were sent in to keep you updated