1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my time at enterprise, however the job did get repetitive at times. Especially at the airport location most of your time is spent serving customers therefore your conversations do get repetitive. However this job was interesting. Making your customers happy and having them leaving with a smile on their faces is truly rewarding.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All my colleagues were great and amazing people. I felt included in the team straight away when I first started. I feel like they are all my good friends now. So when you're working it feels like you're just working with your mates. Everyone was so friendly from the bottom of the business all the way to the top.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had monthly personal development meetings with my manager and we'd talk about what has been good about the work over the previous month and then what I need to improve going forward. I was given goals to work towards every month. If you were given a shoutout by a customer you were given a customer service pin plus a word of thanks from the top manager in your region.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
During the peak of summer, I was constantly on the go, serving customers and doing admin work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility at enterprise from the very start and if i did have any problems i had the closure that i could always ask my manager for help. I served customers on my own and completed admin work when it was possible. I was also sometimes on my own at the returns cabin which carries big responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
During my internship my confidence grew so much. my communication skills have improved massively and i now have an insight on what its like to work for a corporate company. The skills and qualities that I've learned when working for enterprise i'm sure i'll carry through for the rest of my career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office with my fellow interns and colleagues was really good. It really is a good team environment and you are all working towards the same goal. You feel like you are all a big family. the managers and the supervisors are all really nice and will help you whenever.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Yeah it was well set up.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Every month i had a personal development meeting with my area manager and we'd discuss what went well and what maybe didn't go so well in the previous month. We'd then discuss new goals to work towards in the next month. i also go to go to different training workshops like ways to maximise revenue and learn customer service techniques.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects are pretty good at enterprise rent a car. Enterprise have there ethos of promote from within their own company. Therefore pretty much everyone starts of with the company at the bottom then the more experience you gain you get promoted, which in most cases can be quite a rapid progression.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Enterprise organised 2 employee work nights out when i worked there over the summer, where we'd go out for a meal which was paid for my the company. The social side was good and we all had fun together. so I'd say the social scene is very good at enterprise rent a car.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Edinburgh is quite an expensive city so it wasn't necessarily cheap. However i study in Edinburgh at heriot watt university so i already knew and expected it not to be very cheap. To add to this working at the airport location isn't really cheap either with shops and hotels being rather spenny.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Being a student already in edinburgh i knew the nightlife was very good.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yeah working in edinburgh during the fringe was an experience. got to see lots of shows and events while i was working. so that was really good. Also got to socialise with work mates outside of work when there was time to. so yeah the work to life balance is good.