1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I throughly enjoyed the internship, I was able to learn new skills and develop existing ones. Everyone I came in contact with at the firm were very helpful and nice.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was very much valued by my colleagues from day one. In my first week I was able to sit in meetings with senior staff and at the beginning of the meetings I was introduced to everyone by my manager. I had a weekly meeting with my managers who took interest in my personal development whilst I was there.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given much support from my managers, who ensured that I had a range of tasks to do throughout the internship and ensured I had exposure to the different divisions across the organisation. My manager set aside time every week to touch base with me and make sure I had enough work to do.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The level of work I had varied each week. Sometimes I had a lot of deadlines whilst other weeks I didn't have much to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given much responsibility during the internship. I had many tasks to complete and had the opportunity to work on key FCA policy related work.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
At the beginning of the internship all FCA interns had to complete mandatory training this enabled us to develop our understanding of the FCA and the wider financial sector. I was also able to develop key Microsoft Power Point and Excel skills which will in no doubt help when it comes to giving presentations at university.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship programme was well organised. We had an induction on the first day where HR set out the overall objectives of the internship as well informed us of key dates.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Despite only interning for 10 weeks the firm set up training for all interns. We also had to complete a Careers objective plan documenting objectives we wanted to achieve by the end of the internship.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future employment prospects of the FCA are promising. Having spoken to graduates and staff who have worked there for many years the FCA allows staff for staff secondments and moving between divisions is encouraged!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The interns were very friendly and we had lunch together on most days.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a social calendar with a variety of social events.