1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of my placement. While being treated as a full time team member making meaningful contributions, there were plenty of exciting events and opportunities to take part in as part of the placement and otherwise. I gained invaluable industry experience here.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From the onset I was treated with the respect of a permanent team member. Furthermore after becoming involved in projects and making contributions I was considered a spokesperson for different components I worked on. I worked closely with my team and my opinions and suggestions were always valued. I felt a very strong sense of community within my team, and made strong friendships.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I received on going support from my manager and team, and was assigned a mentor who was always available for anything I needed, technical or otherwise. I had regular one to one meetings with my manager and mentor, and received valuable feedback each step of the way.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had ongoing work that I was tasked with and was always kept busy. My team had a very strong work ethic and this sometimes reflected in long working hours. While I was not pressured to do so myself, this was a trend in the team. Despite that, my enjoyment of my projects meant it was not a drag, and the support meant I was never overworked.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given plenty of responsibility working on a meaningful and crucial project. I was responsible for the deployment and support of my work, however was always supported by my team with this.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have strongly developed my applied software engineering skills. Moreover, the opportunity to branch out of my day to day work means I have gained exposure to new areas of my subject that I have found to really enjoy; I expect this to guide my module decisions.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very friendly and relaxed environment within Engineering.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?