1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I learnt a lot about the financial services generally and had the opportunity to work with and learn from a variety of experienced and abled individuals. I also got to do a variety of interesting and immensely challenging work and so I found the internship a deeply rewarding experience all around.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues treated me with the upmost respect and always took the time to answer in depth any questions I had about either the work I was doing or the organisation in general. Furthermore they were always very willing and able to teach me a variety of skills that will prove very useful in my career.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisors were always happy to help and available to answer any and all of my questions. They both gave me the independence I needed to successfully produce my work and learn from the work I was doing and the support I needed to ensure I didn’t fall behind my deadlines.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had a variety of tasks to do from producing a 300 document chronology about a peer to peer lending case, reviewing penalty memos to help establish a precedent for a case, shadowing the actuaries and the workers in innovate and presenting to a know how session so I was very busy throughout the internship.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the independence to complete a variety of interesting and important work. Furthermore the work that I produced throughout my internship felt important and valuable as it was used to support a variety of interesting and important cases. However obviously there was a limit to the significance of the work I could be set.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I developed my time management and organisation skills that will assist me greatly in my studies but other than that there is a limit to how helpful it can be as the work at university is far more independent and than any office based work and of a very different nature.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was supportive and generous with a concerted effort made by all my colleagues to assist me on a day to day basis.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was well organised offering a variety of opportunities to learn from various different members of the organisation throughout.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company taught me a variety of soft skills as well as offering me the opportunity to learn specific skills such as the use of company specific software and a networking session provided towards the end of the internship was very useful for developing skills to help me further my career prospects in the future.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The grad scheme offered by the organisation is immensely appealing and I would definitely take it if it was offered to me. It offers the opportunity to see the entire organisation through internal placements as well as the opportunity for external development via the external placement at an organisation of your choosing.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I met a variety of interesting people from a range of backgrounds and made a number of friends during the internship.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I commuted in to the office and didn’t spend much time in the local area and so cannot really comment
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I never went to any of the nightlife in the local area aside form the local spoons and so cannot comment
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There was a sports day as well as a touch rugby team available to all employees.