1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
When I get to see the different lines on site its exciting, office work can be a bit quiet.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Reasonably well, I feel I am contributing
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Good training, people are very helpful and friendly in general across the company.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It varies, quite busy generally
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A fair amount, would have liked a larger project I was responsible for. Rather than just helping others but that's okay if it is what is useful
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Not much, they aren't that similar. The work isn't very scientific. More the other way (degree studies helped the job) with regards to problem solving perhaps. The work is better to see how science is applied in industry but my degree doesn't focus on industrial applications
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The department; organised, had stuff for me to do straight away
The general structure; good
The IT set up etc was poor, took a couple weeks to get all programs and accounts I needed (even just Skype)
The actual IT support was v slow and got more help from my colleagues in the office, although IT did provide some solutions eventually.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Well, in general I find people helpful across the company and they normally put time into explaining things to you in a way that feels like they are investing in you and your career in the company long term. They encourage people to stay in the company and train whilst working.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would say they are v appealing, lots of variety. Might not be the most secure job though
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, charity and sporting events as well as going climbing, for a drink etc
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Swansea can be fun, I dont think Port Talbot has much though
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?