Pfizer Undergraduate Community and STEM Project Manager at Pfizer

Sandwich/Kent South East
Pharmaceutical

8.2/10

Co-ordinate, manage and contribute to the development of a programme of events in liaison with members of the Sandwich community and academic team in support of:

o STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) engagement programmes in local primary and secondary schools and participation in external science events (e.g. Big Bang, Kent Festival of Science, East Kent Jamboree).

o SIP (Science Industry Partnership) activities in support of science in careers and further education

o School visits to the Sandwich site to enhance science learning (including laboratory tours)

o Local charity and volunteering activities

Time and resource management of charitable events and activities including Pfizer volunteers and equipment, and liaison with external organisations as necessary.

· Research and generate new ideas for community, academic and STEM events and activities (including science-based practical demonstrations)

· Generating engagement of Pfizer colleagues as STEM and SIP Ambassadors.

My Placement Year as Pfizer Undergraduate Community and STEM Project Manager was one of the best experiences of my life. I thoroughly enjoyed my year and would recommend to others considering a placement year to go for it! It is an extremely valuable experience that has enabled me to gain insight into industry, expand my professional network and develop skills that will help me in my future career.

I had responsibility from day one in my role and my supervisor always appreciated the extra effort I put into my work. I was nominated and received a number of awards for my contributions to the business and going above and beyond expectations.

I received excellent support from my supervisor as well as key stakeholders. I had regular 1:1 meetings with my supervisor and other colleagues. As the placement progressed I was able to work more independently but my supervisor would always make time for me if I ever needed guidance.

I was extremely busy at times and had to make sure I had key priorities so I could manage the workload. The workload and the roles and responsibilities of the this undergraduate role is being reviewed for subsequent undergraduates based on feedback

I was given responsibility from day one. I felt like I could really make an impact through my outreach events in local schools and found the experience very rewarding. I was able to take ownership of a number of outreach initiatives and would be the point of contact for the whole Sandwich Site organising and managing all the STEM volunteering events.

I was able to gain skills specific to industry as well as employability skills which will definitely help to improve my graduate prospects. There were many opportunities for professional development including communication skills courses and recognised qualifications such as the yellow belt certification. I was also able to network with people from many departments at Pfizer and this has opened my eyes to the range of career opportunities available in industry.

I had a great team table! I always enjoyed coming into the office for work.

Very well organised - the undergraduate programme is very well established.

There were many opportunities for personal development - my supervisor was also extremely helpful

Future employment is very appealing but the graduate scheme is extremely competitive. I will definitely look into jobs at Pfizer once I have graduated university and will keep in contact with people at the company to see if any opportunities arise.

There is quite a large cohort of other undergrads/apprentices however, the social scene varies depending on the people each year. I was able to make some great friends that I will be keeping in contact with.

I go to university in London so the cost of living/socialising was definitely cheaper here.

The closest nightlife was really in Canterbury/London. If we went out as a big group to Canterbury it was cheaper as we could split cabs. London is just over an hour on the train but this is an expensive night out.

There are opportunities e.g. sports clubs but you have to actively look for them