Department is responsible for the development and maintenance of all MDA ranges, providing product summary's, specification sheets, product presentations, matrix tables, demo modes and answering frequently asked product questions
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
When people ask me what it's like to work at BSH I can’t speak highly enough about the company. The positive culture within the company for me was evident from the first day right until the end of my placement. My line manager also played a significant role in making my placement year not only a memorable one but one that has allowed me to truly grow as an individual and develop many skills that can be applied to any business environment
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I definitely felt valued within my department to the point where I was not only doing work to support my line manager, but also helping other colleagues within my team. When I reflect on my tasks over the year it is really nice to see a linear increase in terms of the responsibility my tasks held. For one of my last tasks I had to organise a large proportion of a company event and present to over 70 people across the space of two days
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager has been extremely supportive all the way through my placement year. One thing I liked about my manager was he really encouraged me to take on tasks that challenged me which really allowed me to grow. If I ever was stuck with a task I could easily turn to any of my team to help without feeling anxious as they were always happy to help. I was made to write quarterly targets by my manager as well as noting done all my tasks which allowed my easily reflect on my experience at the end
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My workload definitely increased as the year continued. I have never really been short for tasks as my manager often gave me multiple tasks which meant I could easily break my day up. We often discussed priority order of these tasks which allowed me to easily manage my workload
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was definitely given a large amount of responsibility. This was definitely more evident when I reached the half way point during my placement. I was asked to do a task directly for a member of senior management team and was heavily involved in major business project where I led meetings and organised a large proportion of the event.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Because I’ve listed all of the tasks I’ve done over the year it allowed me to easily note the skills I developed as well. When I’ve compared these skills to my university modules I have found many cross-overs.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was always a friendly one. Everyone is willing to help where they can
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My placement was extremely well organised. I was fortunate enough to cross over with my predecessor intern who I shadowed for a couple days. It helped me adjust quickly to the business when I started. I was made aware of the functional links within the business quickly which meant I knew who to contact for help. HR was also extremely supportive.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given multiple trainings included:
2) Brand trainings
3) Managing workload
4) Presenting with impact
5) Event in London showroom
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Everything about the company is appealing with regards to prospects within organsisation. From how senior management interact with employees through to how everyone just seems to get a long here.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes-All of the interns socialised on a weekly basis and we all got a long very well. Played footabll twice a week with company (6-aside & 11-aside)
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?