1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It's been a thoroughly enjoyable year from start to finish. Prior to beginning a placement the last thing I wanted was to spend the first 3 months twiddling my thumbs whilst seeking out some responsibility - that definitely wasn't the case at FDM! From the very first week I was trusted to deliver and throughout the year I've felt like I've been growing constantly.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very much so. I think a good indicator is that now, coming to the end of my placement, colleagues are surprised when I tell them that I'm returning to university. A modern, agile company, you quickly come in to contact with colleagues from all departments and building relationships has been easy.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I've always felt that If I wanted support I knew how to seek it; important for myself though was to be left with my own responsibilities and whilst there have been challenges along the way, these have been vital to my development. There is a Mentoring programme in place which has been useful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Very busy, from beginning of placement to the end. There's barely been a quiet moment. Whilst fast-paced It's been great to have a certain level of pressure to deliver. Alongside my regular responsibilities, there's been extra ad-hoc tasks that have come along the way.
I feel that with my responsibilities I now understand how I work much better, and will be greatly more confident in my work post-final year.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A great amount of responsibility throughout the placement. you don't just feel like you're doing 'tasks for a placement student', instead I feel like my work has a strong contribution to both my department and the greater business.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Studying Business at university I feel that previous studies had allowed me to understand business's in a theoretical, however my placement has added practical context.
For next year I hope that prioritisation and organisational skills developed on placement will help me to achieve the grade I hope for.
Beyond university, I'm much more confident in making career choices. I now better understand the areas of work I enjoy and also, importantly, the areas I'd like to steer away from.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere is vibrant and driven. A young atmosphere; opportunity is what propels FDM. I've found it to be a good mix of hard work alongside camaraderie.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The work placement was set up well. I had a handover period with my predecessor so the transition into work was made easier.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
FDM is a Recruit, Train, Deploy company so training is a key aspect of the operation. I've had the opportunity to seek out training courses.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
this Placement Year
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing, I'd definitely like to come back and feel that there are a range of opportunities to do so.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes both alongside fellow placement students and colleagues. After a week of work the opportunity to unwind is definitely one keenly taken.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Compared to university nights out are definitely expensive. Being in Central London however I guess that's to be expected.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Very good. A strong mix of different nightlife - good bars and restaurants.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?