This review was written using a previous version of questions that
were updated in 2013
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Shoosmiths. The work I did was interesting and engaging, the people were very friendly, and I came away from the firm wishing to work there permanently.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt that everyone in the Department that I was working in were genuinely interested in me, whether this was giving me important work to do, or generally chatting with me about University and my future career plans.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My Supervising Trainee and other Solicitors and Partners in the office were extremely supportive if I had any questions about the work I was doing, or about my future career. For them, no question I asked was silly!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I feel that I had the perfect balance of work during my Placement. I was given a lot of work which kept me busy, and I love a challenge, so I was very happy with this. However, at the same time, everyone was completely understanding if there was anything I found difficult.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility during my placement, which made me feel important and valued.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I know that the skills I acquired from my experience at Shoosmiths will be beneficial to me in my studies, training, and beyond.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was very positive. Although the people there were extremely hard-working, they were always having a laugh at the same time, which I too was made to feel part of.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The Placement seemed very well organised. Everyone knew that I was there for my Placement, and so everyone seemed to go out of their way to make me feel welcome.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
One of the tasks I had to undertake at the end of the Placement was a Presentation for the Training Partner of the Office and my Supervising Trainee. Everyone in the office was very willing to support me and give me any tips for this, and at the end of the Presentation, I was given detailed feedback on my performance in the presentation, and throughout my Placement.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future employment prospects are very appealing with the firm. When I completed my Placement, I knew that this is the firm I would love to work for.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The trainees of the Office always got together for lunch and included everyone who was on the Placement. As it was July, we would always go to the Park and have our lunch there.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?