1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have enjoyed my placement a lot, it was more than I expected when I first started it. I am grateful that I had this opportunity to work for IBM in SouthBank, London. Everything was great and I have enjoyed every single day of it !
IBM - Best start in your career
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I had a great relationship with all my team. As they are working from different countries around the world, it was difficult at the beginning to establish a relationship only talking over phone. I started to feel valued from day 1 in IBM last summer on July.
Great colleagues !
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My Task manager was amazing. We had a wonderful relationship. We talked 3-4 times on a daily basis and he helped me with everything I have struggled. He explained to me step by step everything I need to do . He was not based in the same office as me .
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was 100% busy every day. The role that I have receive during my placement was a really busy and difficult role. Now, this role was transferred to a permanent one, give the skills and abilities you need to have in order to perform it in a very good way .
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had a lot of responsibility during my placement year. At the moment, I am working on mapping everything from our old Contract on L&G Account to the new contract. I am also the person in the team who talks to the customer regularly and solves all the customer queries .
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
In IBM you can have training and courses in a lot of different subjects. As I did a Mathematics degree, the Accounting courses and PytHon / C++ programming courses helped me a lot to develop my skills. I am sure that they will be very useful when I will graduate .
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I have also worked at home on regular basis, so the job is very flexible in terms of hours and place where you are. the atmosphere in the office is amazing for a very corporate environment . I have enjoyed the facilities and I met a lot of people from different industries.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I think that IBM is really working hard to make the placement students and other interns very happy during their placement year or time in the company. You would be assigned with an Early Professional Manager who will help you through your year and you will also have regular meetings with him.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I really consider that IBM is investing a lot of money in the personal training and development for the employees. You have a Learning target of 40 hours per year and you have a lot of courses from where you can choose. They also offer special badges at the end of some educational activities.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I think the future employment prospects are very appealing in IBM. For example all the placement students will have the opportunity to apply back to IBM as a graduate. They will be fast tracked to the final stage of the employment. There are a lot of opportunities in different departments .
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
yes, we had regular meetings and we have also organised some parties.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I can say that London is expensive but your placement will be paid.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I am enjoying the nightlife at all, so I cannot give you an opinion on this item
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are a lot of opportunities to take part. For example, Wimbledon.