Events Coordinator at IBM

Sales

IBM is a Top Employer

7.8/10

8.6

I had a great year with so many exciting opportunities. My team were fabulous and it was great to work in such a dynamic and fun environment. My role was varied and even gave me the opportunity to travel to Bali, Indonesia for one of IBM's biggest events of the year.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 7 roles at IBM

The whole team ensured I was welcomed warmly when I started in my role. Throughout the year, they gave me increased responsibility and let me take ownership of my own tasks. This meant I was able to feel I was a valuable member of the team, despite being an intern.

My task manager has been on hand to help me and give me any support I need throughout the year, whenever. She has always made sure I am coping well with the work I am doing and that I am happy in my role. My early professionals manager has also always been available for more general support, not necessarily related to my role.

The skills I feel I will be able to take forward into my final year of my degree and beyond include my confidence, communication skills and planning and organising. These are areas where I feel I've developed greatly during my year at IBM. I hope they will help me whilst writing my dissertation.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 7 roles at IBM

I got on really well with my team and have build good relationships with all of them over the year. The atmosphere in the office is therefore very good and it's great to have a team who you can have a laugh with during a long day in the office.

IBM have a very well-established placement scheme, which they have been running for many years. The recruitment process right through to the end of placement plans have therefore been seamless. They have great platforms where interns are able to connect and ask questions to one another. Each intern also has a dedicated Early Professionals Manager who looks after them for the year.

IBM is big on education and training. They have given me plenty of opportunities to learn and carry out additional training not necessarily related to my specific role. They have lots of facilities to allow for this, such as a website dedicated to learning about other areas of the business and developing skills.

IBM have an equally well-established graduate programme which offers roles in business sales, consulting, security and more. Those who have completed a year in industry with IBM get a priority when applying for their graduate roles and are able to apply before the roles are opened up to the general public.

I was based in Hursley, and lived in Winchester, Hampshire during my year on placement. The cost of living in Winchester is relatively high, however it is a lovely place to live and has lots of pubs and activities in the city. This means socialising with housemates is easy and there is a fair amount to do.

There are many activities/sports which employees at IBM are encouraged to get involved in outside of work. The site I was based at - Hursley - has a club house, where many sports groups are based. There are also lots of 'giveback' opportunities for interns, encouraging them to take part in other activities outside their day-to-day roles.