Design Manager - Manage the design phase of construction and manage any construction site queries that need the designers attention during construction phase.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement. Was given a lot of responsibility early on and treated as a valued member of the Mace team.
A lot of my colleagues also invested themselves into my learning which has helped me grow and develop and has ultimately led me to being independent at work early on.
The support received from the talent and development team was also brilliant. I didn't need much support, but any question or queries I did have were met with a positive response.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued by my different project's team and the design management team at Mace AIR.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Any questions I have had or advice needed I could go to my line manager and one of my senior colleagues and they will/would always have time for me.
They were honest, and would provide both constructive criticism and praise when needed.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Once given the design management responsibility of my frist project I became busy every day, with still sometime twiddling thumbs. Now I have the design management responsibility of 2 projects I have a good balance. I could take on more work, but seeming as though I am only here for a year it wouldn't make practical sense.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the sole design manager role on 2 projects. This was perfect for me and I enjoy being thrown in the deep end and being under pressure - this is how I, personally, learn quickest.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My knowledge of construction in terms of design management, process, training and H&S has increased 10 fold and will definitely be able to be transferred into my degree and my future beyond.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Positive - could have a laugh but also could get focused and work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
very good. Someone was to meet me there on my first day, my line manager knew I was coming, and they had everything set up for me.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They paid for the SMSTS (Site Management Safety Training Scheme ) for me.
They also held training sessions within the company which I was allowed to attend and receive training in.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am just waiting to receive the contract with them.
I wish to spend the next 5+ years with Mace.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was only one other placement at my place of work. We aren't exactly matching personalities so we don't do anything together.
However when all the placements go to the head office we always go to the pub and have a bit of a social after.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
£560 rent including bills- which was a big chunk of my salary.
Socialising was pretty expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Didn't go out where I worked.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, Mace did a lot of charity work and fun activities associated with it.