1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed my time massively, I got to work on many exciting projects throughout my year, loads of which I never thought i would get the opportunity to during my placement year.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
There is a fantastic working environment at 3M, everyone is willing to help each other and there are great recognition schemes for people that go above and beyond.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisor was fantastic, he gave me lots of interesting things to do, and if I ever got stuck his time was never 'too precious' to come and lend me a hand. He even pushed me to chase ideas I had and gave me the opportunity to go to amazing events!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At some points I had lots of work to get stuck into, and I was definitely pushed to get some things done, i never felt like I had nothing to do though, you just have to go and ask people for things to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was involved on some huge projects during my time at 3M, some of which were worth a lot of the company, so there was a great feeling of making a difference.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This year has helped me massively with my current 3rd year. I feel like i have already completed half my modules, before even starting. For developing skills for my future career, i could not speak highly enough of 3M.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There was a fantastic working environment within the offices, and there were lots of social and sports to play with colleagues whilst there.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was very well set up, with many 'emerging talent' things in place to help develop us students so early on within our career.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company had many 'emerging talent' programmes where we got talks and training about things such as presentation training and even things like six sigma.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Currently this situation is quite difficult to answer due to 3M being a multinational company, and with the UK going through Brexit, they are currently on a hiring freeze.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
All the students got on very well, and there were many social events in place.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I am used to living in London, so living in reading was quite a bit cheaper, but it massively helps when you are getting paid!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
3M Is based right next to Reading, which has a large university and many nightclubs and bars.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were many sports clubs and social activities that 3Mers from the sites get involved with.