Human Resource Industrial Placement at Gist Ltd

Variation Nationwide
Human Resources Recruitment

7.8/10

6.0

Our Industrial Placement schemes are a year-long opportunity for penultimate- year university students as part of their four or five year sandwich-degree course. The scheme offers students the chance to gain a strong start to their career by gaining valuable work experience within a thriving, fast-paced business.
· Our 12 month Industrial Placement scheme in HR offers two six month placements – the first based in our Head Office and the second will see you based at any one of our operational depots, anywhere within our UK network.
· During your first placement with us at Head Office you will gain exposure to a variety of different areas in HR through your involvement in project work, for example in talent development, recruitment or compensation and employee benefits. Previous placements have included working on our graduate recruitment process and implementing new HR systems.
· Within your operational HR depot placement, you will support the local on-site HR team with day-to-day HR activities including recruitment, absence management and employee engagement initiatives, as well as assisting with wider HR projects as needed.

Gist made a huge effort to make sure I was involved in a vast variety of projects from my very first day. Every day brought a fresh challenge, and there was a robust support network in place to help me achieve my maximum potential. The placement was highly enjoyable.

Placement students are treated like a vital member of the team, with all my thoughts and feedback given as much consideration as those of a senior manager.

I was given a huge amount of support with a 'door always open' policy from managers across the business.

I was involved in a huge amount of projects including recruitment processes, careers fairs, administrative support and further organization of Central Induction events.

Gist placement students are given real responsibility from day one, I felt that my feedback was hugely valued and my opinions were taken very seriously.

My placement year was hugely beneficial in terms of applying my theoretical learning to real life scenarios in the context of a real business. Gist have greatly improved my skillset and confidence which stands me in good stead for future roles.

The general atmosphere was busy and exciting - there were always new projects coming through the door and all staff were very helpful if I ever needed anything.

My placement was incredibly well structured - my first two weeks involved contact meetings with all departments so I had a point of contact if I ever needed anything. I had regular reviews and one-to-ones with managers and my mentor to ensure I was happy and stretched with my workload and that any issues I was facing were dealt with.

Gist made a huge effort to invest in my development, offering training and a huge range of external opportunities such as recruitment conferences, up-skill sessions and virtual reality demonstrations.

HR students, if successful, are offered to return on the HR Graduate scheme which is not advertised externally, a huge bonus in the competitive graduate market.

Fellow graduates and industrial placement students were all put in touch with one another to form a community and social scene.

As it is the south west of the UK cost of living was quite high, but as socializing was limited to weekends it was manageable.

Basingstoke itself is fairly average, but has Reading and Southampton nearby which both offer much better clubs/bars and are easy to travel to and from.

Some but not many.