Working as a business analyst, looking at gathering requirements from stakeholders and translating these into value through work with the development team
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement, and it was fantastic being on an out of town project as it meant you not only were able to build strong relationships with the client, but also get involved in alot of societies and gain a strong bond with other Accenture teams.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valued, from day 1 at Vodafone I was made to feel welcome, and was given a great deal of responsibility, heading up a deliverable myself, which really made me feel I was delivering value and without trust from my colleagues this would not have been possible
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given extensive support whenever required by my manager, and was also allocated a buddy who was a graduate which meant that I was able to ask any questions even if I believed they were basic/silly questions
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It was always a perfect balance really, as with any job there were times where it was more busy than others due to timelines etc. however having a daily stand up ensured that all members of our team shared the work evenly and that no one ever had nothing on or too much on
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A great deal of responsibility, one of the greatest traits of my manager was that he did not Micro manage me and he let me run towards a goal whilst also ensuring that I kept him up to date with what I was doing
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think that the skills and training that I developed during my SCRUM/Agile training will be the most useful to me moving forward as it taught me the importance of building in increments and being flexible and responsive to change rather than delivering and end product from the get-go. However, Accenture has provided me with alot of invaluable skills that I look to further build on if I am fortunate enough to return.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was a very relaxed yet professional atmosphere, since I worked on client site during the weeks it was essential to remain professional. However, we built very strong relationships with the client and I even ended up playing football against the client for the Accenture football team!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I thought it was very well set up, I know that at the beginning of the placement it was hard to initially get onto a project for alot of us interns, but I actually think that networking period that we had has proved invaluable, as if there is anything I have learnt about Accenture is that networking is essential
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I think the resources that Accenture provides to you in terms of helping you develop is second to none, whilst on the bench at the start of my placement I conducted alot of online trainings, and then even during the primary stages of my project, my team gave me advice on further trainings to do that would help me with my role.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing! My intentions are to not only come back to the company, but I have been asked to return to my existing project (if it is still running), I have built great connections within CMT and that is where my intentions to develop lie and I dont think there is a better company than Accenture for that
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
With there being numerous Accenture teams at Vodafone, I joined the football society there, which allowed me to socialise with employees from different teams. As well as this, did a fantastic job of putting us in contact with the students on a 12 month internship by organising social events!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home, so did not have any living costs, and when out of town I was in Newbury so my accomodation was expensed. The cost of socialising was never too expensive in Newbury.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in Newbury was okay, but definitely all that was required. When socialising on my project, we would either just meet up and go for dinner/bar on the river in Newbury, or for big events/team socials we would go to London or Reading.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were alot of opportunities, that were communicated through word of mouth and through email threads