Mechanical Testing Support Engineer at Lubrizol

Automotive Mechanical Engineering

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

9.2/10

9.7

You will support the testing departments by using CAD and manufacturing principles to design and develop new engineered parts and test rigs. Working alongside highly skilled engineers you will support a wide range of internal departments, delivering excellent solutions to complex problems.

I thoroughly enjoyed my industrial work placement at Lubrizol, having the opportunity to complete design work on a variety of different engineering projects. I was allowed to gain hands-on engineering experience within the mechanical workshop, including programming and running the CNC lathe and milling machines. As well as my day to day work I was able to take part in the Engineering Education Scheme supporting a group of college students with an industry project. This ensured that my work was varied and allowed me to have a well-rounded and enjoyable experience.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

My colleagues at Lubrizol were very friendly and appreciative of my work. They were helpful and able to offer me advice and guidance which allowed me to make the most of my experiences. I always felt that I played a valuable part in the mechanical testing team and that my work added value to testing carried out at Lubrizol.

Lubrizol offered a very supportive environment where colleagues were always helpful and able to give advice and guidance. I was in regular contact with my supervisor and had monthly meetings with my manager. They ensured that I found the work I completed valuable and always asked if there was anything else I wanted or they could do. I also had a business segment mentor outside of my team which allowed me to discuss any issues.

Most of the time I was busy and had a list of projects which I was working on simultaneously. I was able to prioritize my tasks so that my workload was manageable. My work was varied and included design and 3D modeling using SolidWorks, producing engineering drawings, programming CNC machines using SolidCAM and hands-on experience of manufacturing components. My workload fluctuated depending on the requirements for testing at the time but I was never bored.

As my placement progressed I took on more responsibility for the engineering projects I worked on. During the second half of my placement, I took on the design and manufacturing work to redesign a test rig which was essential for Lubrizol's testing capability. I gave regular updates to the test engineer and management team and took overall responsibility for getting the test back up and running.

During my placement, I was able to build upon a variety of technical engineering skills which will help me in my studies back at university and also in my future career as an engineer. I was given the opportunity to complete training such as 'Giving Powerful Presentations' which allowed me to gain confidence and develop my presentation skills.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

During my placement year, I moved offices into the mechanical workshop. This brought the mechanical testing support team together so that the engineers and technicians were able to work together more closely. Everyone was very friendly and supportive, creating a great atmosphere in the office which allowed me to improve my skills as an engineer as the technicians shared their experience.

Lubrizol provided an excellent structure to the professional placement, starting with a comprehensive induction which introduces you to the whole mechanical testing team and the different roles that everyone plays. Support networks are set up with mentors and supervisors. The placement is also flexible with the opportunity to complete work across different areas depending on your interests.

During my placement, I was able to complete some personal training to develop my skills in delivering presentations, industrial gas safety awareness and knowledge of industry standards. I was also able to take part in site-wide training initiatives on company culture. I completed activities in my role as a STEM ambassador such as representing Lubrizol as part of the Engineering Education Scheme.

Although Lubrizol does not have a graduate scheme, there are a number of employees who have been taken on after they completed their professional placement at Lubrizol. I would definitely go back and work for Lubrizol once I graduate or further in the future if I was given the opportunity.

During my placement year, there were approximately 30 placement students working in different departments at Lubrizol. Most of the students met up for nights out, going to the cinema and out for meals. Other activities such as laser tag, go-karting, Go Ape, day trips and sports were organized through the sports and social club which was open to all employees.

Derby is a university city offering plenty of student accommodation at a reasonable price. It has everything you would expect in terms of restaurants, shopping, cinema, bowling and crazy golf for something to do on evenings and weekends. Groceries are also cheap with all the usual supermarkets close to the city.

Although small, Derby has a number of venues for a relatively cheap night out such as a few clubs and lots of bars and pubs with at least 3 Wetherspoons. It also has great transport links by bus and train to Nottingham and other bigger city's nearby for if you get bored of Derby.

The sports and social club at Lubrizol offers lots of different activities outside of work with activities taking place most weeks. These include day trips, sports, go-karting, Go Ape, Hazelwood ball and laser tag. Costs are also heavily subsidized so that the costs are always reasonable even for placement students.